Click for a closer view
Figure 5. Mower drive belt installed
8. See figures 5 and 6. Install the mower drive belt (A) over the inside groove of the power take off pulley around the idler pulleys, and the mower drive pulley. As you install the mower drive belt, be sure it is twisted as shown.
9. See figure 4. Pull back on the spring tension lever (A) and lock it in the position as shown in figure 4 to put tension on the mower drive belt.
Click for a closer view
Figure 6. Mower pulley belt installed on inner groove of power take off pulley.
REMOVING THE MOWER
CAUTION: BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADJUST, SERVICE OR REMOVE THE MOWER, BE SURE THE ENGINE IS SHUT OFF, THE PARKING BRAKE SET, AND THE MOWER BLADES HAVE STOPPED TURNING.
1. See figure 4. Push downward on spring tension lever (A) to release the spring tension on the mower drive belt.
2. See figure 5. Remove the mower drive belt (A) from the mower drive pulley, idler pulleys, and power take off pulleys.
3. See figure 4. Position the spring tension lever (A) as shown in figure 4.
4. Use the tractor lift lever or lift switch to lift the mower to the raised position.
5. See figure 3. Remove the spring clips (B) and two pins (A) to unfasten the mower hitch from the tractor front axle.
6. Use the tractor lift lever or lift switch to lower the mower.
7. See figure 2. Remove the spring clip (C) and pin (B) to unfasten lift cable (A) from the mower. Install pin (B) in the mower eyebolt for storage and place spring clip (C) through it.
8. See figure 1. Turn the tractor front wheels left if the mower is to be slid out the right side of the tractor or right if the mower is to be slid out from the left side of the tractor. Slide the mower out.
BEFORE OPERATING THE MOWER
1. Read this manual and the owner's manual for the tractor carefully. Be sure you are familiar with the safety precautions, controls, and operating instructions.
2. Check the mower carefully to make sure it is properly installed.
3. Be sure the tractor tires are properly inflated as explained in the tractor owner's manual.
4. Be sure the mower is properly adjusted front to rear, as explained on page 4 of the Adjustment section.
5. Check the condition of the mower blades. Keep them tight, sharp, and in balance.
6. Lubricate the grease fittings as instructed on page 6 of this manual.
7. Clear the lawn of sticks, stones, wire and all other debris which might be caught or thrown by the mower blades.
8. Determine the best method of mowing according to the dimensions, terrain, and obstructions of the lawn.
9. Adjust the cutting height of the mower as explained on page 4 of the Adjustment section.
ENGINE SPEED SETTING
The tractor engine should be operated at 3/4 to full speed when using the mower. When the grass is wet or higher than 3" the engine should be run at full speed. Three-fourths to full speed may be used when mowing lighter grass.
POSITIONING THE MOWER
The mower is lowered into position by using the tractor lift system. This may be either the manual lift lever or the optional electric lift switch. Lower the mower until the lift cable (Figure 2, Item A) is loose.
Mower cutting height is regulated by turning the height
control handle located on either side of the mower. See Cutting Height Adjustment in the Adjustment section of this manual.
[Source: Simplicity Owner's Manual, MFG NO 886 42" Rotary Mower, MFG NO 885 48" Rotary Mower, SER. FORM OP60]